Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder vs Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Just a few important points how to distinguish between OCPD and OCD.
1. Main characteristics: orderliness, perfectionism, and control. They like to make a list of everything.
2. Can they function: Yes
3. How long: usually since adolescence
4. Rx: Psychotherapy
Mnemonic: OCPD –> Perfectionists, and they need to function in order to be perfect. Treat them with Psychotherapy.
1. Main characteristics: recurrent obsessions (thoughts) or compulsions (act) that are RECOGNIZED by the individual as unreasonable.
2. Can they function: No. Why? Busy washing hands, organizing, checking, counting and praying.
3. How long: Insidious onset. Occurs during childhood, adolescence, or early adulthood.
4. Rx: Pharmacotherapy. TOC (treatment of choice) are SSRIs.
5. Abnormalities in the SEROTONIN metabolism.
If you want to read more about it visit…
If you are interested, you can check out the video about OCD.