How Much is “One Drink” of Alcohol? Is One Drink a Day Healthy?
Reading USMLE step 2 CK materials and facing so many related to alcohol abuse and the complications of it,few questions related to alcohol popped up in my mind. Here are the questions and the answers I found.
1. How much is one drink of alcohol? The answer with some simple calculations can be seen here>>>.
2. How much drinking is too much? This is probably the toughest question, especially for people coming from countries having long traditions and even competitions in drinking (e.g. mostly Eastern European countries including Russia, Bulgaria, Poland, and some Western European countries famous with beer drinking and bar fist fighting, such as Scotland, Ireland, England, less likely Germany). For some people the limit is until they fall under the table. For that type of “macho drinkers” I would recommend one fast alcohol drinking screening test before they start feeling their liver close to the spina iliaca anterior superior (anterior superior iliac spine). How to Recognize Problem Drinking will also be helpful to identify the problem.
3. Is there such thing as a healthy drinking (they say one glass of red wine increase HDL with 5%, one to two shots of liquor are good for the heart)? There is a new research from this year showing that one drink might be of some benefit, but 2 is not healthy anymore. However, doctors will never prescribe anybody alcohol for healthy reasons. You better hit the gym, not the bar.
4. How much alcohol per day/week is still in the normal range? Good news for the few drinks per weeks lovers. Here is the “safe” amount of alcohol you can ingest weekly without fear of becoming alcoholic in the next few years.
5. Drinking and driving is out of question. Just it case here is a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) Calculator.